Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wrapped, Jennifer Bradbury

This book was different than the types of books I normally read, but I REALLY liked it. I thought the cover looked interesting so I picked it up.

Wrapped is about a girl named Agnes Wilkins who lives in London during the 1800s. She's obssessed with Jane Austen (even though Austen's identity hasn't been revealed yet - she goes by the pen-name "Lady A") and is very wealthy. She's 17 and about to "debut" into society, which basically means that her parents are looking to marry her off to someone even wealthier. It comes as no surprise that her neighbor, Lord Showalter - the most eligible bachelor in London - is interested in her.

Showalter invites her to a party at his house. At the party, he has a real mummy from Egypt that the guests get to unwrap! Agnes finds something during the unwrapping that leads her on quite an adventure - and has her fall in love with another man, Caedmon. How scandalous! All throughout the book I found myself wondering if Showalter could possibly be as good as he seems when contrasted with Caedmon...you find out at the very end.

I loved the history in this book. It's set in the 1800s during England's war with France, and gives lots of good background about Napoleon. It also discusses Egyptian history, and even takes Agnes and Caedmon on an Indiana Jones-like quest. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction.

The author, Jennifer Bradbury, also wrote a novel called Shift that was recommended for the SCJBA this year. I've never read it, but now I want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment