Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Witch and Wizard, James Patterson

I just finished James Patterson's Witch and Wizard, which has been on my "to-read" list for quite some time. I wish I'd read it sooner, but this book was WELL worth the wait.

The main characters in Witch and Wizard are a brother/sister duo named Whit and Wisty. I found this quite difficult to keep track of at first, but it got easier as the novel progressed. Anyway, Whit and Wisty live in a changed world, led by the omnipotent leader "The One Who is The One". "The One" has (as is common in other dystopian novels) outlawed certain books/movies/music/activities, etc. in order to create what is - in his opinion - the ideal society. However, there are witches and wizards getting in the way of his supposed utopia. Whit and Wisty are two of the supernatural, but they don't realize it until they're mysteriously taken from their house one night and thrown in jail. The two manage an escape from the prison, and vow to save their parents, and the world.
Cover Photo
Of course, troubles abound, and the pair are never entirely sure who they can and cannot trust - who will betray them.

This novel is so fast-paced (the short chapters really helped with that) that I couldn't put it down. Aside from an amazing, carefully considered plot, there were little details along the way that I just loved. For instance, the novel is divided into "books" or parts, and each book's title is an allusion to another work. Also, the musicians/movies that "The One Who is The One" has banned were all references to real artists. I loved it!

Now I just have to find time to read the rest of the series...

No comments:

Post a Comment