Friday, March 29, 2013

The Name of the Star, by Maureen Johnson

You always read reviews that say, "I couldn't put this book down!" and I always question the reviewer's honesty . However, this was truly the way I felt about this book. If you read my recent posts on Beautiful Creatures and Legend, you'd know that I'm growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of originality between novels and all the glaring similarities I see between books. This novel, though, was so wholly original and was based on such a unique premise.

Most people know the story of Jack the Ripper: famous serial killer in London, case went unsolved, first documented murders just for the sake of murdering. Well, The Name of the Star capitalizes on the famous murder mystery by presenting a recurrence of the Ripper murders - in modern day London. Main character Rory, a student from Louisiana attending boarding school in London, has special insights into the case and is the police force's only hope of capturing the villain.

With twists and turns along the way, this novel really kept me interested and made me want to learn more about Jack the Ripper. It was one of those books where, aside from being entertained, I felt like I was really learning something about history. It's a series, and I can't wait to read the next one because I honestly have no idea where the plot could go.

There are some minor scenes that are a little more mature - some kissing and some teen drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment