Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Prodigy, by Marie Lu

I read Legend, the first book in this series, just a week or so ago, and I would rate it mediocre at best. But Prodigy really raised the bar! There was so much in Prodigy that I never would have expected after just reading Legend, and the plot really kept me guessing. This really redeemed the series for me. See, that's why sometimes you have to read the next installment even if you're not totally thrilled with the first :)

Anyway, Prodigy picks up where Legend left off. June helped her former arch nemesis flee the wrath of the Republic, and they are now wanted fugitives. Together they aim to leave the Republic, and join the illustrious Colonies in their plight against repression. However, they find themselves indebted to a Patriot leader, Razor, who has won the trust of Kaede and Tess (Day's sidekick). So, they agree to assist him in his assassination attempt on the Republic's Elector (dictator). But alas, things are not always what they seem and June and Day have to figure out yet again who they can trust and who they can't. 

During the whole plot, June is torn between the Elector and Day; Day is torn between the June and Tess. It seems that neither one of them can reconcile where their loyalties really lie. Towards the end, it seems almost certain that June and Day have chosen each other, but then a mysterious twist pops up. I won't give it away, but I will tell you that it shocked me and I wanted to cry during the last few pages. 

After Legend, I just felt like I had to read Prodigy; now, I truly cannot wait to read the third book, Champion!

No comments:

Post a Comment