Saturday, August 17, 2013

Inhuman, by Kat Falls

I was really excited to get a galley of Kat Falls's new book, Inhuman, which is due out at the end of September. I loved her "Dark Life" series, and was looking forward to something new from her.
Unfortunately, I was disappointed. I think part of what I loved so much about Dark Life was that the idea behind the novel seemed so original and untouched. But that's not the case with Inhuman - it seemed very unoriginal to me. 

The novel is set at a time when a terrible viral outbreak has swept the United States, and the country is divided by a huge wall, to keep the infected away from the healthy population. The infected live in a section called the feral zone. I found this highly reminiscent of Gone, by Michael Grant, and The 5th Wave, by Rick Yancey. Anyway, main character Laney's father is a "fetch", meaning he transports things from the feral zone back into society (much like what happened with artifacts in the "Matched" trilogy), and he finds himself in trouble. To save him, Laney must travel into the feral zone, dealing with all kinds of mutant creatures. Can she survive and save her father?

I think I'm just getting kind of sick of novels of this type, and I honestly think my students are, too. They're becoming like overplayed songs on the radio. I still love Dark Life and Rip Tide, but reading Inhuman felt almost like a chore.


No comments:

Post a Comment